Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Porthole Fish Craft

Who doesn't want to make a paper plate porthole?!  I'm going to be doing a fish themed storytime this fall and I wanted to change up the craft.  I came up with this porthole using paper plates and transparency paper.   With some prep work beforehand this is going to be a fun simple craft for the kids.

What you need:


  • 2 paper plates (one with the center cut out)
  • Transparency paper or plastic wrap
  • Small shells
  • Blue paper or crayons to color background blue
  • Sand (not pictured in sample)
  • Gems or sequins for bubbles
  • Cutouts of fish and seaweed (or have kids draw)  I will be using foam fish stickers for storytime.
  • Silver Sharpie or crayon
  • Glue sticks
  • liquid glue
  • Scotch tape

Here's how to put it all together:
Cut a circle out of the center of one paper plate.  Tape a piece of transparency or plastic wrap tightly over the whole.  This will make your window.  Be sure to place tape on the inside part so you don't see the tape when the plates are glued together. Set this plate aside.
Cut out a blue piece of paper and glue to the top of the other plate, or have children color the other plate blue with a crayon.  I did not have any sand handy when I made my sample, but I will have the kids add a little bit of sand to the bottom of the plate under the seaweed.  Next decorate with seaweed, fish, and shells.  Use glue sticks to glue paper shapes to the blue background.  I used liquid glue to attach the shells.  
For storytime I will have foam fish shapes to use instead of paper cutouts.
Once your fish are in place add some clear gems to make air bubbles.
Now for the fun part.  Using the glue sparingly outline the bottom plate with liquid glue. Place the top plate with the window on top of the bottom plate.  Go around the outside edge gently pressing the two pieces together.
Next add some rivets to the outside plate with a marker or crayon by drawing small circles all around the inside edge.
Now, go show off your beautiful creation.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea.I made this with my son and he enjoyed it.wish there was an option to share pics of our fish bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm looking into adding photos in the comments. I would love to see your fish bowl project.

      Delete